Friday, August 23, 2013

Making the Most of Summer

It has been such a busy, but fun Summer! It is hard to believe that in less than 2 weeks Stina will be in KINDERGARTEN! This will be our first foray into full day school and I am way more nervous than she is.  The minis have been very busy this Summer-we traveled to Georgia to visit with my sister & brother in law and my dad, Big Daddy.  My sister is very pregnant with her first child and my new nephew!!!  I can't wait until October when he makes his appearance.  Between girly makeovers and pool days it was a fun trip.  Stina is more aware of my sister's pregnancy than she was when I was pregnant with Matthew.  It's amazing to see her talking to Aunt Beady's belly and telling her cousin all about what is going on on the outside.  Matthew just keeps asking when "Onion" will be here.  Poor Owen already has a strange nickname and he isn't even here yet!
Stina saying hello to her cousin!


Matthew saying Hi to Onion
We've made a few trips to Sesame Place and even got into the city to see Doc McStuffins-yikes...that was a nightmare!  Stina even had her first lemonade stand while at my parents' house in Georgia.  As she explained to us, it has been a dream to have one her whole life!  She did a great job and totally loved it.
Lemonade Stand Day 1

Day 2 of the lemonade stand

 The kids have been keeping me busy and keeping my mind off medical stuff.  The reality of it is that "medical stuff" is still a big part of my life and will be for a while.  I am feeling better everyday.  Still a vegetarian, I feel much healthier and have a ton more energy than I did even a month ago.  I have gone for a few port flushes and those aren't bad-hoping the port will be removed sooner rather than later.  I will be having my next Pet Scan next week.  The oncologist seems very positive and feels strongly it will come back clear-that is what we are praying for.  If it comes back clear, I will officially be in remission.  No one wants to say that word though until they see the scan results-understandably too.  Unfortunately, it seems as if the one thing the doctors hoped I could avoid has begun-MENOPAUSE! Seriously!?!?!  As if all the other stuff cancer threw at me wasn't bad enough, now I've got hot flashes and they are hot...and way too frequent!  Murph has been a good sport though-the air conditioning is creating a sub arctic temperature in our home.  He is sleeping wrapped up tight in a comforter while I sweat it out in a 60 degree room.  I figure with everything else that happened this past year, I can handle menopause.  It isn't fun, but it won't kill me.

One of my favorite things this summer has been getting back into the kitchen.  Going back to being a vegetarian has been super simple too.  I had been a vegetarian for many years and eventually went back to eating chicken and some red meat here and there.  But after my treatments, and my Mom telling me all the details of the Peaceable Kingdom movie, I have no interest in meat.  I am eating fish still and am not a vegan (even though I really do hate eggs)  but going back to being a vegetarian has opened up a whole new world of cooking for me.  I still cook meat for Murph and Matthew.  Stina has never eaten red meat and eats a little chicken-she is a veggie lover all the way.  This is totally her choice and her pediatrician is all for her being meat free.  I have loved researching and trying new recipes to fit my new diet.
I promise to still have lots of recipes here on my blog-including meat recipes.  I am not forcing my choice on anyone else and I promise not to get preachy on you.  Not eating meat has been the right choice for me, but it isn't the right choice for everyone though-so you can still get some meaty & meat free ideas here!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment